Wow, these pies are so good! Thick, fluffy cookies stuffed with a marshmallow filling. I’m on a serious marshmallow kick lately. They are just so good.
The filling is made with a mix of marshmallow cream, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. I could eat the filling on anything!
The cookies are made with buttermilk and cocoa. They are super soft and cake-like and have a great chocolate flavor.
Want to make them festive for the holidays? Just add some holiday sprinkles!
Classic Whoopie Pies
Makes about 16 cookies
1 recipe Creamy Filling (see below)
2 1/4 cups flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
Creamy Filling: In a large mixing bowl combine one 7-ounce jar marshmallow cream, 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 cup softened butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until firm.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl stir together flour and cocoa powder; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat until combined. Beat in egg, buttermilk and vanilla until combined.
3. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture.
4. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons 2.5 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes. Let cool.
5. Spread 1 rounded tablespoon of the filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookie. Enjoy!
From: Better Homes & Gardens Special Interest Publication Dec. 2012